Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hi DAD

Hi Dad!!!  Happy Father's Day!  I'm assuming that you'll read this and I write this post just to you.

I always think about my most favorite memories of, with or about people I love.  The only problem with you is that your list is getting so big it's taking over my brain.  There are so many memories I have with you.  I must hold onto them strongly because I believe and know that you are one of the most influential and loved individuals in my life.  You have known me from the beginning, been there from the beginning and our eyes seem to see the same things in life.  I often find myself saying something or repeating some action that mimics you.  I sometimes look out at the world and find myself thinking...I bet that's what dad thinks too.

I love that I have always felt a connection to you.  Even without words, our love seems to pass as daughter and father freely...through distance and time.  I am never worried that you don't know how much I love you because in the moments I might fear that, I sit quietly and say I love you and I know you get that.

You continue to give me so much in life and share so much with me.  I am and have ALWAYS been honored to be your daughter.

Here are some of my memories with you...randomly...
playing cards on the weekends, building sandcastles in Hawaii, you dressing up as a Benihanna chef and cooking for RJ and I on a dance night, grocery shopping when I lived with you in high school, bread and butter pickles and A1 steak sauce, the first set of gold clubs you bought me that were like a foot tall, the day you told me you signed me up for soccer (I was terrified...but it became my love), guitar music late at night to play me to sleep...mostly Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Animals...BMW's, Las Vegas Easter trips and eating at William B's, body surfing and boogie boarding in Hawaii, the Ockey mobile, Seaworld, our road trip to Canada and Glacier, St. George, Fishlake, your brown farm boots, pick pick strum strum, weekend picnics and softball/soccer games, running football plays like we were playing in the pros, Sunday bicycle trips to get a New York seltzer at Texaco, the fold down couch and chairs at Peach Lane, doing laundry at the laundry mat, long afternoon drives singing Cats and Tom Petty, the Elton John/Billy Joel concert and the Rolling Stones concert, Utah Football games, Jazz games, Utah Basketball games, you teaching Stacey how to drive a stickshift on a hill and that famous saying, you walking the sisters down the isle, spending my last moments as a single girl with you and you telling me how beautiful I looked on my wedding day, listening to you sing at my wedding, waking up from surgery in the hallway and seeing you there with RJ and my mom, watching you carry Corey to the NICU in blue scrubs, riding the tractor with you on the farm, watching you take care of your mother, watching you wrestle the boys or read them books...

Okay, so there is some of it.  I could write all day about all the memories I have.  Thank you for creating a life for me that is beautiful and for accepting every moment of my good and bad decisions.  Thank you for bringing me so many blessings and for accepting RJ into our family as one of your own children.  I love you eternally dad.  I hope you have a wonderful Father's Day today and always!

Much love.  Ti amo!

1 comment:

RJ Smith said...

This is such a sweet post. You have so many great memories with your dad. It's neat to read some of them.