Friday, August 21, 2009

Little Farm Town

After spending time in Richfield for Grandma Beth’s funeral, the sisters, RJ, mom, Kristi and I decided to take a little detour on the way home and visit the Farm and Fishlake. It was the perfect day for a ride. It was especially cathartic for me and gave me time to be introspective about all that has happened lately. You see, both of my parents grew up in Richfield so both sides of my family kind of merge together in this little farm town. Sometimes I’m amazed it can hold all my memories within its boundaries. Punchbags, fireworks, swimming all day long, herding the cows, driving the tractor, the dairy, games at the park. It all may seem childish…but that’s just it, that’s where I was a child…just like my parents. It’s something so special and so unique. I will always visit, I will always go there…it’s a part of me just like it’s a part of them.

During the visits and weeks in Richfield we would always travel to Big Rock Candy Mountain and Fishlake with both parents, cousins and grandparents. We would eat at Bowery Haven in Fishlake were Grandma Beth would order a “cheeseburger without the cheese” and a “coke."


The one common thread was always the love and laughter that was felt. Richfield has always been a happy and safe place for me. I will always think of family, togetherness, legacy and love when I go there mentally or physically. My history is there and I know my future is too.

3 comments:

RJ Smith said...

This was a fun weekend, even though we were in Richfield for a sad reason. I enjoyed hearing all of you and your sisters stories of the time you spent in Richfield with Grandma Beth.

THE BENNION BUNCH said...

I WANT TO MOVE TO RICHFIELD... IT'S SEEM LOW KEY AND RELAXING THERE. I THINK IT'S CUTE THAT YOUR GRANDMA ORDERS CHEESEBURGERS WITHOUT CHEESE...THANKS AGAIN FOR THE PUNCH BAGS! MIKE WAS ESPECIALLY EXCITED TO COME HOME AND PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER...I DON'T KNOW WHO LOVES THEM MORE HIM OR THE KIDS (RYANN BEGGED FOR THEM SO I HAD TO HIDE THEM) NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY ARE NOW GONE IT ONLY TOOK 4 DAYS! I THINK WE MAY BE MAKING A SPECIAL TRIP DOWN THERE JUST FOR THOSE! I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY SOON!

Anonymous said...

love Richfield, the memories with my family and my children there...the weekend was so nice with all of you, we really saw a beautiful part of the country and spent some very special moments together...thanks to all for the fun..love ya Momma P.