Monday, August 10, 2009

Goodbye Sweet Grandma

It's hard to believe it's been a week since Grandma passed. The air still catches in my throat when I think of it and the tears seem to surface without warning.

The funeral was beautiful. My sisters and Amy worked really hard to put the special touches to it that only Grandma would admire. Dad and Casey both spoke and each brought an incredible depth and individuality to their relationship with Grandma Beth to life again. Friends and family came from all over to honor and pay tribute to a woman, a mother, a wife, a friend, a sister, a grandma...an over all smiling face. There were so many fun stories told about Grandma's early years and her spit fire attitude...I think that runs in the family. There were love stories told of tenderness between her children and husband that I will cherish always. Of coarse, the fond memories I have over the last years with Grandma are still fresh in my mind and heart...it's kinda wierd to go to my dads and not have her there...that was the first thing Stacey, Casey and I would always do...walk over to Grandma's bed in the living room and give her a kiss.

I want her to be in a happy place and I know that's where she is...it's just the adjusting and the rawness of the wound that needs to heal. Until then I snuggle up with a blanket I made her, close my eyes and go walking with her at the farm or take a quick run up to Fishlake.

I love you Grandma! You are forever in my soul...ti amo!

5 comments:

THE BENNION BUNCH said...

YOUR GRANDMA IS BEAUTIFUL! I SEE WHERE YOU GET SOME OF YOUR GREAT QUALITIES FROM.....I LOVE THE PICTURE OF HER TEACUP....DID SHE USE IT EVERYDAY? I THINK IT'S CUTE! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW BIG THE BOYS ARE! THEY ARE VERY VERY CUTE!

Chelsea Smith said...

She has a billion yeacups and plates that she collected from her travels.

The boys are growing up fast...but its fun to watch the process and how much they change even day to day. Thanks Shalyse!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I miss Beth also...she was such a nice person to me and she loved me as I loved her for many many years. Thank you Beth for touching my life.

Nic said...

Chelsea, this is beautiful. I really appreciate all your family has done for Grandma over the past years. Thank you. We can never thank you enough.

Barney Family said...

Love this post and your tribute to Grandma Beth. When I was in Richfield I was thinking of all the fun times we had there as youngsters. you and I sleeping on that hard wood floor, Easter Sundays-- wishing for your Easter basket, fourth of July and wanting that goldfish from the park, playing baseball and doing handstands in grandma's back yard, walking up to the city park to play on the play ground, and cooling off to ice cold punch bags. Great childhood memories. I hope you are doing well. I'm thinking of you.